Easy English fact sheets for parents dealing with the child protection system. Advice from parents with experience.

Listen to this page
Print this page

Your childs lawyer

Community Services took your child.
You must go to Court.
Your child has their own lawyer.
Legal Aid pay for this lawyer.
This lawyer will talk for your child in Court.
Your childs lawyer may
  • not agree with what Community Services want
  • not agree with what you want.
A child under 12 years.
The lawyer will say what is best for your child.
It is called an Independent Legal Representative.
Some people may say ILR.
Your child will not go to Court.
Young children are not in Court.
A child over 12 years.
The children tell the lawyer what they want.
The lawyer will help them work out what is best.
It is called a Direct Legal Representative.
Some people may say DLR.
Children more than 12 years may go to Court.
Like a child who is 14 or 16.
Each child makes their own choice.
Many of these children do not come to Court.
Your child is in foster care.
You may worry
You can talk to your lawyer.
He can help you work out what to do.

More information

There are stories on YouTube.
For children older than 12 years old.
Look for
Care and Protection over 12 years old
For children less than 12 years old.
Look for
This fact sheet is general information.
It may not be the same for you.
Talk to a lawyer about
  • your own child
  • your family.
This fact sheet was made by
  • The WASH House
  • The Ability Rights Centre. A service of IDRS
  • a Parent Advisory Group, 2020.
We have used images from
  • ChangePeople
  • Mayer-Johnson
  • Participics
Access Easy English helped The WASH House write the Easy English.
March 2020.


Stop Reading