Easy English fact sheets for parents dealing with the child protection system. Advice from parents with experience.

Listen to this page
Print this page

Can you get compensation?

Sometimes people do wrong things.
Like hurt you in a very bad way.
You fall down.
May be you went to hospital.
The other person got in to trouble.
Some times you can get money.
It is called compensation.
Community Services took your child.
You think Communtiy Services did not need to take your child.
You think they were wrong.
You were
  • sad
  • upset
  • worried.
Can you get money?
Can you get compensation?
You only get money when some one does something wrong to you.
Community services did not do the wrong thing.
Community Services thought your child
  • was in danger
  • was not safe.
This is their job.
Sometimes Community Services can make a mistake.
It was not wrong of Community Services.
They did not break the law.
You can also ask your lawyer.
More information
Read our fact sheet
Get help. Who to call
This fact sheet is general information.
It may not be the same for you.
Talk to a lawyer about
  • your own child
  • your family.
This fact sheet was made by
  • The WASH House
  • The Ability Rights Centre. A service of IDRS
  • a Parent Advisory Group, 2020.
We have used images from
  • ChangePeople
  • Mayer-Johnson
  • Participics
  • Spectronics
  • TheNounProject.
Access Easy English helped The WASH House write the Easy English.
March 2020.


Stop Reading